The AOC Consortium and the Generalitat de Catalunya are promoting various digital identity services to make it easier to start procedures and deal with the Administration. All these services use the idCAT (digital identity of Catalonia) brand.
Citizens can request two identification services to use in their relationship with the Administration (depending on the type of procedure and the offering Administration, one or both of them may be used):
- idCAT Mobile : a digital identification system based on sending single-use passwords to your mobile phone. This system can be requested in person and electronically with two options: with a digital certificate and without a digital certificate but accrediting a set of personal data. The citizen must be over 16 years of age to be able to apply for this identification system.
- idCAT Certificate : is the system based on a digital certificate in software. This system can only be requested in person, as it requires verifying the identity of the citizen on site :
Security differences :
- idCAT Certificate: is a cryptographic identification service that provides guarantees of medium level (substantial).
- idCAT Mobile: is a non-cryptographic identification service that provides a different level of guarantees depending on the registration (obtaining) process used:
- Face-to-face or online registration with a digital certificate: intermediate level (substantial).
- Online registration with information known only to the citizen and the Administration (identity document and health card data): low level. 99% of idCAT Mobile users have registered with this process.
Note : These two systems are completely independent and compatible with each other, ie requesting one, if you already have the other, does not involve modifying the data or canceling the first.